Social media is all the buzz. It refers to the means of interactions among people in which they create, share and exchange comments and content among themselves in virtual communities and networks. If you’re Internet or smart phone savvy, you’re more than likely connected by some sort of social media. As of 2012, social media have become some of the most powerful sources for news updates through platforms such as Facebook, Blogger, Twitter, WordPress, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, MySpace and Wikipedia.
Take the quiz below to see if you’re in the know about social media.
1. This popular site linked you in real time with someone likely to know the answer to any questions you might have. Aardvark; Brainchild; Gizmo; Knowitall.
2. Skype is a software program that lets you do what? Hold a device near a song and identify it; hold a device to the sky and see the names of stars; send a text by speaking into your phone; see and talk to people over the Internet.
3. This is by far the most popular social media web site used by seniors 50 and over. Facebook; YouTube; LinkedIN; Twitter.
4. A fascinating lexicon of abbreviations has been created to simplify texting. This, for example is the shortcut for Starbucks: BKS: Anna Sui; *$; SB.
5. This online activity ranks as number one. Searching; buying and selling; social networking; emailing.
6. Facebook Addiction Disorder, or FAD. Is it for real? No, it hasn’t as yet been recognized; Yes, and you can actually test for it on Facebook; Yes, but only a few people are affected; No, using Facebook is just a fad.
7. Mark Zuckerberg is the CEO of _____ . Yahoo; MySpace; EarthLink; Facebook.
8. A North Carolina State psychology professor believes social networking is popular because it’s a safe, easy way for people to make connections without ____. Geographical restrictions; taking risks; having to speak; leaving home.
9. When you “poke” someone on Facebook, you are very likely: Flirting; angry; sleepy; signing off.
10. Wee-Web is a new social networking site where parents can invite friends and family to view pictures and videos of their children. The site’s most active users are ____. Parents; young adults; grandparents; pre-teens.
11. Which social media website has the most referral traffic: Pinterest; YouTube Facebook; LinkedIN.
12. What is Instagram? A chat room; an app for wiring money over the phone; an app that has pre-composed sentences, so all the user does is select the text they want to send; an app to upload and send pictures.
ANSWERS: 1. Aardvark. Aardvark was a social search service that connected users live with friends or friends-of-friends who were able to answer their questions, also known as a knowledge market. Google acquired Aardvark in 2010, and in September 2011, they discontinued it. 2. See and talk to people over the Internet. 3. Facebook. 4. *$. 5. Searching. 6. Yes, and you can actually test for it on Facebook. 7. Facebook. 8. Taking risks. 9. Flirting. 10. Grandparents. Here’s my husband’s favorite lexicon initials: SOG with PIP (Silly old grandma with pictures in purse)! 11. Pinterest. Pinterest receives 1.3 million visitors per day. 12. Instagram is a smart phone app to upload and send pictures. Currently over five million images are uploaded every day. In January 2012, President Obama joined Instagram.